Hi Osprey Monitors,
Greetings from Jon, Jessica and Gary! Thank you for all your hard work on behalf of Osprey in RI. We are always trying to improve the program behind the scenes and have a few updates to share with you.
- Contacting us – In order to ensure a prompt and accurate response, please use the following address when contacting us with questions, concerns, corrections, etc: RhodeIslandOsprey@gmail.com. Using this email address will ensure that your note is not lost or forgotten and is responded to quickly.
- New Nests – In recognition that new nests have not been added as quickly as they should be, Gary has volunteered to visit and map the new nests so they can then be included in the Submit Data system, allowing you to report your findings! There are two ways to submit new nests:
- Use the tab on the website – it will go directly to Jon’s email
- Send an email with the relevant information to RhodeIslandOsprey@gmail.com address. Please put “New Nest” in the title line.
Feedback – Along with fixing the issues we discovered, we are considering making some upgrades to the website, map and the process for submitting observation data. Before we do anything we would love to hear your feedback on the following topics:
Website – Bear in mind that the www.riosprey.info website is the program’s outward facing link to the public. (The facebook group is the inward facing platform where only Monitors (and us) can “talk” amongst ourselves.)
- Does the website serve its purpose? What (reasonable) changes would you like to see?
- Map of nest sites – Does the map serve its purpose? What (reasonable) changes would you like to see? Would you like to see it linked to other applications? Would you like to see additional layers of the map showing active versus inactive nests (by color) or monitored versus not monitored sites?
- Submit Data tab – How is this working for you? Would you like to see us make some changes… perhaps switch to a google docs platform? What wording or changes would improve the process of inputting your observation data?
- Raptor Weekend – Call for monitors to staff the Osprey table! This annual event is a great opportunity to see a variety of raptors up close and personal! The event is held at Audubon’s Wildlife Refuge in Bristol, on the bay! For the past few years Osprey Monitors have been staffing a table dedicated to the Osprey Monitoring program. It is best to have at least two volunteers in the AM shift, and two for the PM shift on both Saturday and Sunday. Volunteers who work both AM and PM shifts and register with Jon through RhodeIslandOsprey@gmail.com will receive a free lunch. Otherwise snacks will be provided. Shifts are roughly 8:30-12:30 and 12:30-4:00 Please respond to the program website, attention Jon, if you are interested or have additional questions.
- Volunteer Luncheon – Audubon Society of Rhode Island invites you to attend a luncheon in honor of you – citizen science volunteers who support conservation in the Ocean State. The luncheon will be held at Audubon’s Caratunk Wildlife Refuge at 301 Brown Avenue in Seekonk, RI on September 21st exact times to be determined but around lunchtime. Please save the date! More details will be forthcoming.
Thank you again for all the skill and hard work you devote to the RI Osprey Monitoring program!
Jon, Jessica and Gary